Two positions available for a Junior Convenor and Safeguarding Officer
Stromness GC has a large and active Junior section. Juniors are able to learn the game, and can receive coaching to get them off to a good start, and to help them reach their full potential. More advanced players are able to travel and receive tuition from top professional coaches. There’s also a full calendar of Junior competitions, including its own Winter League.
All this takes some organising, and of course it relies on voluntary help to keep the whole thing going. If you’d like to get involved in the Junior section, or just want to give something back to the Club, we’re looking for willing volunteers to take on one of two roles (descriptions from Scottish Golf website):
- The Junior Convenor is responsible for
organising and co-ordinating junior activity within the club. Within this role
the individual will regularly come into contact with children and may be involved
in supervising and/or having unsupervised contact with children and young
people. Duties may include:
- Co-ordinating and promoting activities of the Junior Section, including Open competitions and coaching from visiting professionals
- Liaising with schools to promote Open Days and Taster sessions
- Liaising with other Junior Section volunteers to ensure events are properly supervised
- Communicating with the Safeguarding Officer to ensure good practice is being followed and that all documentation/PVG disclosures etc are up-to-date
- Checking on funding opportunities for the Junior Section, and submitting applications where appropriate
- A Safeguarding Officer (Children & Protected Adults) is responsible for the implementation and awareness of safeguarding policies and procedures within the organisation. Within this role the individual will regularly come into contact with children and may be involved in supervising and/or having unsupervised contact with children and young people. The Scottish Golf website has lots more information about Safeguarding at Safeguarding | Scottish Golf, including a detailed description of the role, and what’s involved.
Please contact any member of the Committee if you’re interested, or you need more information.